FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 20:25

All times are UTC

Forum rules

GUESTS AND MEMBERS can post here. Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 17:16 
Site Admin

Y'all will want to read this, https://twitter.com/etherbrian/with_replies

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 23:04 

Much noise has been made of late by the Microsoft Corporation driven tabloid press of the ageing Mac range. Apple may be one generation behind in some cases but the Mac continues to sell. Although Mac sales may have dropped off in the last quarter overall sales are constant.
Sites such as ZDNet which is entirely corrupt (which incidentally I have been kicked off following a particularly heated debate with Ed Bott) fail to recognise that the MacBook way outsells the Surface no matter how the Microsoft Corporation paint it. Touted as a replacement to the Laptop has anyone tried using it on their lap well I have and its damn uncomfortable with that kickstand. Touted as a replacement to the PC is utter nonsense. I need real screen estate so a display any less than 21.5" is useless to me. I make no secret of the fact that macOS (OS X) is my preferred platform so for me the iMac is the perfect machine and its from Late 2009 so whether Apple keep the Mac range updated or not is of no concern.
It is the Microsoft Corporation and not Apple who are getting a kick in the rear end with the continued reinvention of the Surface Pro and they did themselves no favours in releasing the SurfaceBook which is by far the superior the product of the range with just one handicap and its a big one at that in the shape of Windows 10.
Whilst on the subject of Windows 10. It kills budget Laptops. Yet another customer applied Windows 10 updates and the Acer Laptop is running like a dog and thats with an Intel i3 Dual Core Sandy Bridge CPU and 4GB RAM plus a Seagate SSHD upgrade.
As Ed Bott shouted so loudly on ZDNet the consumer has one week left to purchase a Windows 7 Laptop. Its a major turning point but at least Mr Bott will be able to immerse himself further in his fanatical pro Windows 10 antics. I may have been kicked off ZDNet but I still read. Its pathetic and I make no secret for my utter distain for the man.

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2016, 00:24 

5735guy wrote:
Much noise has been made of late by the Microsoft Corporation driven tabloid press of the ageing Mac range. Apple may be one generation behind in some cases but the Mac continues to sell. Although Mac sales may have dropped off in the last quarter overall sales are constant.
Sites such as ZDNet which is entirely corrupt (which incidentally I have been kicked off following a particularly heated debate with Ed Bott) fail to recognise that the MacBook way outsells the Surface no matter how the Microsoft Corporation paint it. Touted as a replacement to the Laptop has anyone tried using it on their lap well I have and its damn uncomfortable with that kickstand. Touted as a replacement to the PC is utter nonsense. I need real screen estate so a display any less than 21.5" is useless to me. I make no secret of the fact that macOS (OS X) is my preferred platform so for me the iMac is the perfect machine and its from Late 2009 so whether Apple keep the Mac range updated or not is of no concern.
It is the Microsoft Corporation and not Apple who are getting a kick in the rear end with the continued reinvention of the Surface Pro and they did themselves no favours in releasing the SurfaceBook which is by far the superior the product of the range with just one handicap and its a big one at that in the shape of Windows 10.
Whilst on the subject of Windows 10. It kills budget Laptops. Yet another customer applied Windows 10 updates and the Acer Laptop is running like a dog and thats with an Intel i3 Dual Core Sandy Bridge CPU and 4GB RAM plus a Seagate SSHD upgrade.
As Ed Bott shouted so loudly on ZDNet the consumer has one week left to purchase a Windows 7 Laptop. Its a major turning point but at least Mr Bott will be able to immerse himself further in his fanatical pro Windows 10 antics. I may have been kicked off ZDNet but I still read. Its pathetic and I make no secret for my utter distain for the man.

HAHA trying to reason with Ed Bott is a hopeless endeavour.

Wikipedia (while not always correct but still good for a 'general assessment') had a chart of OS share usage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha ... ng_systems

There's one interesting thing you'll notice... the main usage of Windows 7 remains fairly consistent at a slow decline--even despite the aggressive Windows 10 forced updates, which is actually quite impressive that Windows 10 adoption is that slow. Because a lot of machines were hit by that, but it shows you people actively wanted to go back to 7.

If we take a look at the Ed Bott article you posted awhile back, Ed claims there was a double usage increase up to 'more than' 25%: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... e-browser/
Ed Bott wrote:
As you can see,more than 25 percent of all Windows PCs that accessed U.S. Government websites in May were running Windows 10... The numbers from Net Applications and StatCounter show similar trends... According to Net Applications, 9.8 percent of all Windows PCs were running Windows 10 in November 2015. That number is up to 19.4 percent in May 2016.

However StatCounter (which actually tracks global usage, and not something stupid and specific like USPS hits) shows an increase of only a few percents!
Quote:
--Win10 Adoption--
StatCounter Global Stats July 2016 11.78%
StatCounter Global Stats May 2016 10.27%
StatCounter Global Stats Dec 2015 6.67%

And not to mention, Windows 10 adoption has basically rounded the same as what Windows 8.1 adoption was when it first came out on new devices. In other words... Windows 10 adoption is worse than Windows 8. But with Ed Bott's absolute nonsense, you'd think otherwise. Ed Bott should instead say just how staggering Windows 7 usage is, and that it's going to be 'the new XP' with such poor numbers of people using Windows 10.

Also, you'll notice that OS X and Linux usage has been increasing over time, too.

Report this post