FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 10:16

All times are UTC

Forum rules

GUESTS AND MEMBERS can post here. Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 16:14 
Site Admin

EDIT, 11/02/15, from beloved Lincoln Spector, the GWX control panel program to get rid of Window 10 update (but it might not always work, MSFT keeps getting around our blocks): http://www.pcworld.com/article/2998967/ ... grade.html

EDIT, 10/30/15, try this article, at NBR, click here.

EDIT, 10/06/15: warning from Woody Leonhard, the notifiers are baaaccckkk, click here.

I turned off telemetry in gpedit.msc . Just type it in your search box, then when you see it highlighted at the top left in Win7 or Win8, select it, right-click and 'Run as Administrator'.
  • then arrow down to Administrative Template on the left side,
  • then Click on the 'Action' and select 'Filter Options',
  • then check 'Enable keyword filters',
  • then type in the word 'telemetry' and hit Okay.
  • You'll end up then seeing at right 'All settings',
  • so double-click on that and you'll see all the options with 'telemetry' in them.
  • One will be 'Turn off Application Telemetry'. It applies whether or not you opted in for CEIP and might override any KBs MSFT might manage to send to create added telemetry (aka snooping).
  • Frankly, the collection of data is anonymous, supposedly, but what if it's changed, since Win10 is clearly not succeeding as MSFT wants, or they'd not need to snoop on other versions anew.
  • Then reboot or run (at search line) gpupdate.exe /force , to enable what you just did.

EDIT: new, just in from Microsoft, 9/17/15, a way to block Win10 updates! https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265 . That KB is in your Windows Update for today (7 or 8.1), and IT WILL PREVENT GWX FROM DOWNLOADING. Tell everyone you know to get it! Basically it creates a new field in gpedit.msc so you can block the update. Whew! To use gpedit.msc, type that in the Start Menu search box, then you'll see it highlighted in blue at the top left. RIGHT-click on that upper left, and select 'Run as Administrator', then follow the KB link instructions (in the 2nd paragraph below the fourth bullet). I did those steps live in vimeo and Youtube, but OF COURSE the vimeo link doesn't work. So here's Youtube's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC46orDm7to
. :rave: .

EDIT: for cdaringer's post on how to get rid of GWX in your system tray, click here.

For the prior LATEST listing of how-to's, click here. . That link also helps you understand the roll-back process, by a guy who does it for a living.

:!: EDIT: for an earlier listing of how-to's, see the next post, click here. :!:

There are a lot of posts on this around the internet, and they are confusing. So click here for a typical listing of the KBs to avoid. Those folks at bleepingcomputer are a valuable help, you'll find. The guy making that post just found yet another KB which you want to also hide (steps below), http://www.support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080149. So add 'KB3080149' to your list of updates to HIDE. Notice from the link, how all these hidden 'Get Windows 10' updates have the same language as that second link. BEWARE. For surely others in the future, will come. Thus, the first three Steps below are really important.

(Earlier pre-correction post of the KBs to avoid, was here. You might want to read the whole thread. Another poster in that thread wanted me to add the following caveat, click here.)

The HIDE mechanics are:

1. Type 'Windows Update' in the search bar, hit return. The Windows Update menu appears.

2. At upper left, click on Change Settings. That takes you to the next screen, Choose how Windows can Install Updates.

3. Click on the triangle in the drop down box, and click on 'Never Check for Updates'. This forces Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 to revert to manual. So from this point forward, only if you do Step 1, can you check for Updates. Windows will never send you notifications, never download, never install. It's all manual, now.

4. So when you do Step 1 anew, then you get the menu which has a button allowing you to 'Check for Updates'.

5. Then, it presents you with a LIST of updates.

6. So, if an update in the first or second link is listed, you right click on the KB in that list, and select 'Hide'.

7. Then, select the others which don't have that blacklist in the first or second link of this post, to be installed.

8. Also check that same link for updates you may have already installed in Step 2, by instead clicking on 'View Update History'. You are then presented with a screen of updates you've installed. But you have to click on the 'Installed Updates, to do anything about it. So do that.

9. In that screen, sort on the NAME of the update by clicking on 'Name', then scan for the KB numbers in the first or second link of this post.

10. When you find one of them, click on it and then look toward the top of the screen and click 'Uninstall'. Repeat per installed update which matches the KB numbers in this post's first and second links.

Sorry this is so complicated. Finally, Linux is easier to use than Windows, but you'll still need your old Windows. See the Linux forum for tips on how you can use both at the same time, so that you get the best of both worlds. I'll be making videos, too, and posting their links here as I've time.

Your Windows machine will still be protected: well, relatively: Windows is always vulnerable. Yet, you won't wake up to a borked machine due to Win10 forcing itself upon you or some other user you've allowed on your machine.

Report this post

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2015, 08:26 
Site Admin

Here's the latest rehash of how to stop Windows 10 popups in Windows 7, in light of the latest Gordon Kelly article warning that MSFT is trying to foist privacy-robbing snooping on earlier Windows versions:

Most important thing you can do, is turn Windows 7 updates OFF: .. :bustedcop:

1. Type 'Windows Update' in search box of Start Menu.

2. Pick the 'Windows Update' at top left which is higlighted in blue, as a result.

3. The resulting window has at left, 'Change settings'. Click on that.

4. The resulting window then has in the middle, a dropdown list, one of which says 'Never check for updates'. Click on that, then click OKay at the right bottom.

5. There's now a red shield which is supposed to scare you. As if you didn't know anything. But as a result, after clicking the OK, the screen changes and you'll see a button in middle right which says 'Check for Updates'.

6. So now it's a MANUAL process, which YOU control.

7. So when YOU are ready to check for updates, you again repeat steps #1-2, and you'll immediately see the result in #5.

8. So BEFORE you click on 'Check for updates' again, you CLONE or backup your entire hard drive (clone is better, it's a live bootable replica of your machine, and you can get Macrium Reflect 6 Free for cloning).

9. So after doing step #8, when you click on 'Check for updates' you'll have a delay.

10. After the delay, you'll have a list of updates which at right give you a link of the 'KB' you can click on, to see what it is.

11. If you don't understand what the update says, or it says 'telemetry' or 'experience', AVOID IT; instead of getting it, right-click and HIDE the update, so it won't come again.

12. If instead it says 'security' update, and you read the KB article, and you see keywords like 'kernal' or 'fault' or 'elevated privileges', then yeah it's a security update, and you're safe to accept it. Else, ignore it or hide it. Point is, not to accept what you don't understand.

13. Some of the optional updates relate to your hardware, extra software, or to the Intel stuff on your machine. Read the KB articles and if you understand them, accept those updates, too. Don't accept what you do not understand.

The 'telemetry' or 'experience' (terms masking the Get Windows 10 push) KB ones to hide so far, are: 2952664 2976978 2977759 2990214 3021917 3022345 3035583 3050265 3068708 3065987 3075249 3075851 3080149 . Now, these might change. Or, even after you hide them, later versions of the same ones might come down as updates.

14. As for the CEIP stuff, it depends on what MSFT software you have. The generic setting can be accessed by typing 'Customer Experience' in the Start Menu search Box. At upper left you will then see 'Customer Experience.. Settings'. Which, technically you click on and then turn off. But that only turns off the reporting for Windows crashes or problems.

Per Microsoft programs, there are addtional CEIP defaults to turn off. Usually in Help there is some option about how to configure the help, whether to get help online 'web'. THERE is where they stash the CEIP option (i.e., in Microsoft Word 2003, I don't do later Word, so you'll have to hunt for the new location). That's an estimate of where it will be. Each program you have will have its own CEIP.

But the point of the Forbes article is that it won't matter what you select. Nor will it matter if you do a registry hack or state 'hosts' file to avoid the phoning home. MSFT will just ignore your preferences, and slurp the data anyway.

How true is that article? Not sure, really. But since you can't tell what data of yours is being sent back to MSFT, the smartest thing is to avoid the 'updates' which alter what is sent home, in the first place. If the KB numbers mentioned above are already installed, then you have to go through Uninstall updates (type that in the Start Menu search box) and uninstall the highest number first, backwards. You might not be able to uninstall.
.. :bouncegrab: ..

Does this help? Yell at me if not.

Report this post

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 03:01 
Site Admin

Be sure to get rid of those updates soon. :drinkcompute:

Two articles here and one reaction, help explain why. How true they are for the States, I don't know, but why take chances. The initial BC post re the articles (for added perspectives), is here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589964/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case/

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case
and
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/

The reaction, click here. I had to use the 'reply' function to get the permalink, sorry.

If you've an domain or Active Directory network and you need hints on how to block those creepy updates, click here.

Report this post

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2015, 21:45 
Site Admin

In the lead post, the video shown is what I actually ran. So far, so good. Since somehow prior updates wiped out my list of hidden updates, this latest KB 3050265 which promises to stop GWX altogether, better dang well work!

Report this post

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 03:55 

I will have to rescind my belief of Windows 7 to 10 upgrades being seamless in an 'ideal' environment (that I claimed) due to correspondence that was thrown at me from a colleague out of the blue.

Report this post

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 07:00 
Site Admin

His post here, pasted:

cdaringer wrote:
here is a script here to remove the beggar notice for windows 10. http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2015/0 ... indows.zip

from page

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get- ... m-taskbar/

read the page and save the zip, you can enable the auto-update with the supplied script at a latter date.

This does not require that you disable automatic updates. It was incredibly unethical to add the malware in with security updates and valid OS updates. The above script is correct and currently works

I'm evaluating the following:

http://bgr.com/2015/08/28/windows-10-fe ... ndows-7-8/

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

Report this post

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 19:25 

The Register's post is actually quite good:
TheRegister wrote:
Up until about 2-3 years ago, my computers were under my control - a small oasis of control in a world in which I'm largely powerless and my ability to live my life as I see fit is being systematically stripped away. I want to uninstall an app? "No problem." Decline an update? "No problem." Delete the entire C:\windows\system32 folder? "Dumb, but hey, if you're determined - no problem, we won't stop you." Point was, it was my computer, and I could do what I wanted with it. Technology was an enabler and the possibilities were endless.

On older computers you had more 'control' over everything. Whether it was the hardware itself (physical jumpers for DMA / IRQ / master / slave / SCSI ID), or operating as the root administrator. Granted these are undesirable features for most, but the point remains that you have more control with that.

I'm fine with manual jumpers, usually I disable the parallel port (IRQ 7) to give me an extra slot for a sound card :dance:

Report this post

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015, 22:08 
Site Admin

Apparently MSFT is breaking its promise re KB 3050265, on which I did a video. That video and 'Private One' comments in reply to explain that 3050265 is no longer stopping GWX notifiers, are here.

So you may have to hide the updates all over again:

Report this post

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2015, 22:29 
Site Admin

Latest forced attempt to make Win10 go on your machine, PRE-TICKED BOX for Windows Update to 10, make it a regular update!! Not kidding, read here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/10/16/microsoft-accident-forces-windows-10-onto-windows-7-windows-8/

Tandem articles and discussion are going on, here.

Report this post

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 01:05 
Site Admin

This is his post in Forbes and as Asok Smith in Computerworld, just in

AsokAsus wrote:

Accident my rear end!!! Microsoft got caught re-re-releasing KB3035583 and other related updates and now they’re trying to walk back their outrageous and unethical behavior.

These showed up on a plethora of my client’s systems a few days ago after I had already removed them, unchecked them and hid them weeks earlier.

This is totally unethical, namely re-releasing KB3035583 after hundreds of thousands of people paid technicians to have these removed.

Furthermore, it appears that the update option, “check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them”, has somehow been ignored with one of these re-released updates as I’ve found systems magically reset to “Install Updates Automatically”, even on systems where the users don’t even know how to access an administrator account.

Two days ago I found KB3035583 installed AGAIN on several systems I support and had to uninstall it AGAIN. I then had Update find it again, unchecked it and hid it, and lo and behold, the Windows 10 installer itself was STILL pending as the only available update! Looking at “view other updates”, I found the Windows 10 installer itself included, and then unchecked and hid it, and that actually BROKE Microsoft updates! After I did the above, update would immediately fail with an error (I think 0×80240019: “WU_E_EXCLUSIVE_INSTALL_CONFLICT An exclusive update cannot be installed with other updates at the same time”).

This happened on ALL the systems at one business I support!

Fortunately I had encountered this problem before when I had had to roll back to W8.1 from W10 for a client who was tricked into installing W10, so I knew what to do, namely apply the following .reg hack (it will solve the problem on both W10 and W8):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionWindowsUpdateOSUpgrade] “AllowOSUpgrade”=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionWindowsUpdateOSUpgradeState] “OSUpgradeState”=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdate] “DisableOSUpgrade”=dword:00000001

[Note: copy the above in a file with .reg type, and execute the reg file by right-clicking and selecting "Merge".]

This reg hack can be applied at any time when removing, unchecking and hiding KB3035583 and the Windows 10 installer update itself, but the simplest way to use the reg hack is to first uninstall KB3035583, and then apply the above reg hack BEFORE rebooting, namely first use:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart /quiet

then apply the .reg reghack, and then reboot. I’ve found that if the reg hack is applied that way, the Windows 10 update installer itself will not come back, though you still have to recheck for updates after the boot, to find KB3035583 AGAIN and then uncheck and hide it.

Note KB2952664 comes back too, and if you want to make sure you’ve removed ALL the telemetry put the following in a .bat file:

@echo on

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:3012973 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart /quiet

wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart /quiet

pause

and run the above batch file, THEN do the .reg hack, and then reboot, and as I said before, you will then have to have update check for new updates, find KB3035583 and KB2952664 and uncheck and hide them.

At this point in the game, because of what Microsoft is doing to my clients with their outrageous, repeated attempts to force W10 onto my client’s computers and thereby completely wreck their businesses if they succeed, my only choice is to turn automatic updates off altogether with “Never check for updates” and manually check once or twice a year and see if there’s anything worth allowing to install.

Notice in the latter article, how hrlngrv, another astute commenter, says Asok should have his own blog. That's why I'm posting his comments here, as in magazine articles they are quickly lost. Posting in CW is too much of a pistol for me, so I post here.

Report this post

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 23:50 
Site Admin

Article is here. Take it slow, there's a lot of material covered, and not all the suggested steps will be useful/beneficial. Depends on your system and proclivities.

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 23:57 
Site Admin

This article just in by Mary Foley, who got her news from MSFT's Terry Myerson, that the (hitlerian disgusting) forced Win10 nagware/ransomware notice will continue. They didn't listen at all to the problems. So all those hapless grandparents and children and casual users who didn't have the money to get the nagware removed by a professional, are now going to be continually harrassed.

And the updates for Win7 and 8, being bypassed until you click on Win10, means they can't be patched for Win7 and 8, either. So then they can't get the security updates they need, or have to shell out money to computer geeks to get the Win10 nagware/ransomware removed -- if they even know the CAN do that.

It's no longer moral to buy anything MSFT sells. Sorry. Hitlerian describes MSFT now in EVERY WAY.

Boycott them and anyone who praises Win10, until all this is over. Better still, PRAY that God smack down those fostering this, for the sake of protecting those who are victims. For this IS a form of terrorism.

Since we don't know who's truly guilty and what kind of redress should be employed, prayer rather than human action is the better option, so that real justice will be done. God better knows what's required, than we do.

Parallel articles coming out afterwards: click here then here and here.

But avoid commenting at ArsTechnica. If you tell the truth about how bad Windows 10 is, or reply to others, you get banned as if you were a troll, even if you use citations and substance. Even ZDnet is not that bad. So 'shake the dust' at ArsTechnica.

Report this post

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 16:02 
Site Admin

Since Win10 adoption is going so badly, MSFT has come up with new ways to wreck our lives, with new KBs, article here.

The KBs come through Windows Update, so I hope you've turned them off to make update manual.

The one TO HIDE/REFUSE for Win7 is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112343
The one to HIDE/REFUSE for Win8 is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112336

Now you are forewarned.

Report this post

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 01:39 

Also just to re-iterate, the GWX remover, removes and prevents Windows 7/8 switching to Windows 10:
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/G ... lSetup.exe

Report this post

Post subject: Win10 notifier MORPHING?
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 15:07 
Site Admin

Now, MSFT is changing its nagware for GWX to ignore or reset your specs against it, from off (don't want), to on (do want) -- automatically. Apparently it's checking as often as several times during an hour. That should slow down your operation, no? :killcomp: :smashcomp: :hammer: :typing: :crying:

Here's the article. Opine, please?

Report this post