FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 08:39

All times are UTC

Forum rules

GUESTS AND MEMEMBERS CAN POST HERE. Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots and stalkers and anti-semites will be deleted and banned without notice. Else, try to be thoughtful, protect your own privacy, don't swear much (makes one appear infantile), but I won't censor. POLICE YOURSELF.

Post subject: O&O Backup software
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 00:17 
Site Admin

Was reading in NBR forums variant complaints about Macrium Reflect, and someone recommended O&O. I've NO idea whether it works, so am posting a link to its website, here. Opine, please?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: O&O Backup software
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 05:49 

It does support UEFI and clearing the hardware allocation tables (for "generalized" restores), but I'd opt for Acronis Backup instead. Acronis gives you more flexibility and they state outright more of the technologies and how it works. For example, O&O backups do not state whether they use their own VSS services or use the microsoft VSS services exclusively (if they do, then it's garbage like Dell AppAssure). I'm going to assume that they don't use their own VSS service... otherwise they'd be up-front about it.

Report this post

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 06:04 
Site Admin

Thank you! What's a VSS service?

hupostasis wrote:
It does support UEFI and clearing the hardware allocation tables (for "generalized" restores), but I'd opt for Acronis Backup instead. Acronis gives you more flexibility and they state outright more of the technologies and how it works. For example, O&O backups do not state whether they use their own VSS services or use the microsoft VSS services exclusively (if they do, then it's garbage like Dell AppAssure). I'm going to assume that they don't use their own VSS service... otherwise they'd be up-front about it.

Report this post

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 16:59 

VSS is the Microsoft "Volume Shadow Copy" service.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy
The technology is used generally so files that are in use can still be backed up. However, proper backup software will have their own VSS service instead of using Microsoft's VSS service *directly*. When it's used directly it can cause problems.

Last edited by hupostasis on 07 Apr 2016, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 16:20 
Site Admin

Click here for Update on O&O, for anyone interested. I've not tried this yet, but because Notebook Review recommended it, its update is listed here.

Report this post

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 07:54 

brainout wrote:
Click here for Update on O&O, for anyone interested. I've not tried this yet, but because Notebook Review recommended it, its update is listed here.

It can be downloaded directly from O&O's website:
http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Report this post

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 09:09 
Site Admin

Then what do you think of this article, click here?

hupostasis wrote:
brainout wrote:

It can be downloaded directly from O&O's website:
http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

PS: I'm still reading yours and Anonynomenon's other responses in our other convos (esp. re Outer Darkness), and made videos: but they are too boring to post. Will have to figure out a better way to respond later.

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 04:22 

brainout wrote:
Then what do you think of this article, click here?

A better idea than messing with your personal computer's VSS services (which I would say is bad), would be to set up a file server where you don't have administrative privileges for your system to execute anything on said file server (that way the files are on the file server and can always be rolled back to the shadow copies the *file server* takes). Or, a persistent backup system that backs up your data every X minutes. It depends on how critical the data is.

Therefore if VSS is needed as a buffer:
#1 backups are insufficient
#2 your security is insufficient
#3 your system needs to be locked down more*

*I often lock down computers for people who are not technical / prone to getting malware

Report this post