FrankForum (Frankness IS Forum)

No ads, no mods, Frankly Anonymous (you can join w/fake name/email, are not tracked)!
It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 19:58

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Extra Smileys: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/misc.p ... _Editor_QR

Not moderated, so you are on your own. Spambots, stalkers and anti-semites will be banned without notice. Else, POLICE YOURSELF.

Post subject: Installing Mint Mate 17
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2015, 15:11 
Site Admin

If you're interested in the installation experience, click here.

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 14:54 

Do you have to have an account with Vimeo in order to watch videos you posted? For every your Vimeo link I get this when I try to open it:

Permission Denied

Sorry, you do not have permission to view this section of the Group. Please contact your Group owner for more information.

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 22:48 
Site Admin

alamanjani wrote:
Do you have to have an account with Vimeo in order to watch videos you posted? For every your Vimeo link I get this when I try to open it:

Permission Denied

Sorry, you do not have permission to view this section of the Group. Please contact your Group owner for more information.

That shouldn't be happening. Please give me the link you tried to use. 'Group' is not the videos, but chat groups, but even there you should be allowed to VIEW. So it sounds like a bug I need to report to vimeo.

If you're looking to watch the Linux Mint 17 video, try this link: https://vimeo.com/brainout/mint17

Try the channels page, see if the same thing happens, here: https://vimeo.com/brainout/channels

Or, here's the Videos page, but the videos are so many, you'd have to search on a topic: https://vimeo.com/brainout/videos

I'm so sorry you're having problems!

Report this post

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 01:44 

Yeah it's a public viewing permissions restriction with the following group:
groups/pcworldalumni <==

I'm guessing you don't control the public viewing access for the "pcworldalumni" group. They have forum topics set to private, apparently.

Report this post

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 03:59 
Site Admin

EDIT 11/26/15: Vimeo says it's correcting the problem, but now two weeks have gone by with no success. So I'll PASTE that article into the next post. Sorry!

That's MY group. So it should work. So it's a bug in vimeo. I reported it. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Lots of problems over there lately.

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 09:49 
Site Admin

Mint Download Link: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php . Step-by-step primer on installation basics, here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8#p1027978 . The hardest thing about installing Mint, is deciding what colors and options you want, which is pretty much the same as for XP. And, as enjoyable, enfin. :)

As you'll also see from that link, Linux (here, Mint) installs DIRECTLY to an external drive or USB stick as if an internal hard drive. No driver problems, nor do you have to go online.

Shorter step list is: 1) download the iso, 2) burn to DVD (3 gig+ files), and then 3) boot from the DVD, 4) click 'install Mint' icon after inserting the external drive or USB stick. Takes an hour for initial install, only two questions about your location and partitioning. Sweet.

LOTS of customization. Quick intro here (I'll do better videos later):

https://vimeo.com/132150857

Linux Firefox works just as it does in Windows, so you can Sync it and immediately have all your links. So you can surf within minutes, even before you explore all your customization options. You can copy a file of pictures from your Windows hard drive and make them your Desktop. Load up Dolphin, find your hard drive (it will have a separate 'name' or 'size' to denote it), navigate to your pictures folder, then just as in Windows, CtrlA Ctrl C to select all the pictures in a folder, then find the 'Pictures' folder in your 'home' directory (which will have your username on it), then get into that directory, then Ctrl V paste (or right click and select Paste).

Then rightclick on Desktop, select Change Desktop Background, click 'Add' button, to select that same Pictures folder you just pasted into. Then, click on the lower left corner of the screen (activates Menu), find 'All' and click on it, then scroll all the way down to 'Screensaver', to configure it.

It's wonderful to be able to praise something, and baby, Mint-Mate 17 is 'it'. If you're weaning off Windows or stuck on XP and never want to leave it, this Mint-Mate is the nearest thing, and XP's best friend! Seriously, it saves XP and XP saves it...

I keep saying 'Mate' because there are FIVE desktops to chose among (aka 'GUI'), and all are interesting. But Mate is most intuitive for Windows users. Plus, it has the slickest installation and update system I've ever seen. I just hit the button and then looked at its progress every now and then. Slow but stable and gives you good feedback. No problems at all. I installed it to a 64 GB Kingston 2.0 stick, but could go 128GB or even more.

Now if only I can get its 'Wine' to run my Office 2003 (which it's supposed to do but alas I've not had luck yet) -- then I will just stay on Mint til the cows come home.

Only two big things I don't like: a) the constant Vista-like prompting for password when writing to drives (in Vista you can turn that OFF) and b) their equivalent of Explorer doesn't easily tell you file byte sizes. A smaller kvetch is that it's a pistol to master their lingo, which is not at all intuitive.

Oh: and of the many 'packages' (software) you can download, be sure to get Xfe file manager (most like Windows Explorer), RecordMyDesktop and Kazam (to make onscreen vids using one or more monitors at the same time), Dolphin file manager (slightly different, you can't have too many file managers), Clonezilla (which can run inside Mint also, and you want to do it that way when cloning non-Mint stuff to other non-Mint stuff like your Windows drive to a stick); also Calligra (far better than Libre Office), WINE (WINdowsEmulator). Most of whatever else you'd want will already be in the 'package'.

Oh: and the best cursors on the planet are called 'blueglass' or 'redglass' aka 'x-cursor' but be sure the 'glass' is mentioned. Just open the 'Package' or 'Update' or 'Software' manager (you have all three) and search on those terms to find these cursors. Or, click on Control Center, Appearance, Theme, Customize, then Pointer, and you'll seen an option to download cursor themes. Use the 'x-cursor' or 'glass' to get a list of the available 'glass' cursors (nice and big, okay).

Oh,and one caveat: DO download (it should already be there) the 'man' pages (Linux Bible manual). You can buy Linux for Dummies, but I find that book horrifically disorganized. Trial and error works better, and you always have Clonezilla to fall back on.

Report this post

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 15:03 

You don't need to burn .ISOs to DVDs. If you have multiple USB sticks (which 16 GB ones are a dime a dozen), you can simply write the .ISO to a USB stick and boot from that (and then install the stuff to another USB stick if so desired).

Rufus is one of the better programs for turning .ISOs into bootable USB images:
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I think I prefer LXDE over Mate, just because it uses low resources (and can be configured to mimic a Windows desktop).

Report this post

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 09:03 
Site Admin

Good points. I only mentioned DVDs to avoid confusion of the install with the installer. :)

Report this post